In the first “orientation” meeting at Eastern, President Black found himself a seat on the floor among other Equality Riders who did not have a seat in the several couches and chairs. From this first “down to earth” action, I could tell that Eastern was different than all the other schools. By noon in the cafeteria almost every student I passed had our “learn from history” button pinned on their shirt or backpack. I had extensive conversations with gay students and students who family members were gay. Very soon after we arrived “Repent America” had also been allowed on campus with a table and literature to protest our presence. I’m so glad Eastern welcomed them on because many students came up after speaking with them saying, “Well, I didn’t really know where I stood on the issue, but if they’re your opposition, I know I’m with you guys.”
10 years ago
