Friday, April 21, 2006

Bethel University

I thoroughly enjoyed our Bethel stop. The campus was gorgeous, sprinkled with wooden bridges, lakes with docks, and beautiful landscaping. At several points in the day I took some “time-outs” to enjoy a bench by the water; nature has been one of the many things we’ve lacked access to while living between a bus and hotel room for 2 months. I had the privilege of speaking with seminary students at a brunch for the 1st hour of our time together; as students with similar studies we compared the procedures and processes which our universities offer and also discussed the similarities of being in ministry with a spouse or partner who career calling is not in ministry and the pro’s which that partnership brings.

After a lovely catered lunch, Alisa Streets and I spoke with Katherine Nevin’s “Principles of Counseling” class; we shared our stories and the questions from students were very honest and heartfelt. Afterwards I spoke with students at our literature table until I snuck away to a deserted hallway and pulled up 2 cushioned benches in order to take a much needed hour long nap. I guess I hadn’t realized this trip would involve back-to-back 14 hour work days which entail repeatedly exposing the details and timeline of your life to hundreds of strangers all the while attempting to defend your human worth and dignity; I think we all would benefit from daily naps but I gladly settled for this first and only treasured instance of stolen sleep.

After an amazing dinner in the dining hall where pad thai was an offered entrée, perhaps over a thousand students gathered in Benson Great Hall for a forum where 3 riders, including myself, presented our thoughts and beliefs about the bible, academic freedom, and the treatment of GLBT people. 3 speakers from Bethel spoke as well and afterwards the forum was opened to Q and A from students. It was a respectful event which I feel brought a lot of knowledge and new ideas and facts to Bethel students.