Friday, April 21, 2006

North Central University

Despite my fellow rider’s experience at North Central, I had a wonderful day full of sunshine and meaningful hour-long conversations. We arrived at the site of rider David Coleman’s former school who kicked him out for being gay. We set up tables and signs which pointed students to different stations such as “Bible Discussion,” or “Ask Me Any Question.” North Central is different than all the other schools we’ve visited because they don’t actually have a campus; all their property consists of buildings, not grass or sidewalks. They exist in the middle of downtown among shops and hospitals and parks. Unfortunately students had had so much fear placed on them about us from their administration that for the most part they stayed deep within their dorm rooms and classroom buildings and only looked at us timidly through their windows; every time I would catch someone’s eye I would wave and they would look embarrassed for staring and wave back. I even witnessed a pizza delivery take place through a 1st floor screen window which had been removed in order to make the transaction.

Eventually riders began a sit-in, sitting in front of doors to class-room buildings, requesting opportunity to dialogue with students. They were not allowed access and in a few cases were intentionally hit with cameras from angry media camera men, “accidentally” stepped on or “accidentally” kicked. Unbeknownst to me, all of this was occurring as I stayed present at the “Bible Discussion” table and had the privilege of speaking with about 5 students over the course of the day. We had also bought over 300 sodas and water to give to students, but because they were scared to meet us much of it was left. I began giving away 6-packs to those few who walked by; they gratefully received the soda and kept coming back for more.

We held a rally that night in a nearby park which was the most widely attended rally we’ve had yet. So many community support showed up and as well Captain Sulu, gay Star Trek icon. All in all it was an important day which concluded for me with being able to have dinner with my 21 yr. old niece whom I hadn’t seen for over 1 ½ since she moved to Minneapolis.